What is a Segregated Fund?
Segregated funds are only offered by life insurance companies and are officially classified as insurance contracts regulated by life insurance legislation. What sets segregated funds apart from other types of investments are the investment protections and estate planning benefits. They contain professionally managed, diversified portfolios of investments and can offer quick access to your assets if needed.
FORTRESS® Funds & FORTRESS® 2 Funds
PLEASE NOTE: The FORTRESS® Funds and FORTRESS® 2 Funds product lines were closed to new policies on April 1, 2013. While FORTRESS® products are no longer available for sale as a new policy (after March 31, 2013), current FORTRESS® Fund policyholders (prior to April 1, 2013) can continue to make contributions and transfers into existing policies. Existing FORTRESS® policyholders can track fund values and performance here. FORTRESS® 2 policyholders can track their fund values and performance here.
Information for Policyholders:
- Unlike Mutual Funds, FORTRESS and FORTRESS 2 Funds are guaranteed to return all or a portion of the premiums* you’ve paid.
- 75% of all net deposits are guaranteed when your plan matures (minimum 10 years for FORTRESS and 20 years for FORTRESS 2).
- When you retire, you can convert your registered funds to a RRIF (Registered Retirement Income Fund) and receive regular income payments, while keeping the bulk of your retirement nest egg tax-deferred.
- Upon your death, 100% of net contributions made prior to the policy anniversary before your 65th birthday will be paid to your beneficiary, plus 75% of subsequent net contributions.
- Proceeds go directly to the beneficiary, providing immediate access to the funds. And as long as you have named a beneficiary, proceeds are not subject to probate. Registered funds bequeathed to your spouse can continue to defer income tax until received as income.
*Subject to any applicable death and maturity guarantee, any part of the premium or other amount that is allocated to a segregated fund is invested at the risk of the contract holder and may increase or decrease in value according to fluctuations in the market value of the assets of the segregated fund.
- 2020 FORTRESS Annual Financial Statements2020-FORTRESS-Annual-Financial-Statements.pdf (2 MB)
- FORTRESS Funds Information FolderFORTRESS_Funds_Information_Folder.pdf (413 KB)
- FORTRESS Fund FactsFORTRESS-Fund-Facts-06_2021.pdf (2 MB)
- FORTRESS 2 Funds Information FolderFORTRESS_2_Funds_Information_Folder.pdf (492 KB)
- FORTRESS 2 Fund FactsFORTRESS-2-Fund-Facts-06_2021.pdf (2 MB)